Sunday 1 December 2013

November Wrap Up

So today I am doing my November wrap up, where I will be telling you what books I have read in the month of November. But before I get started, I just want to say that I was actually participating in NaNoWriMo this month, so I was not expecting to read more than one or two books this month, but I surprised myself and actually read a total of 5 and a half books!
So the first book that I finished in November was Requiem by Lauren Oliver. I actually started this book at the end of October but didn't finish it until the beginning of November.


Overall, I think that this book was a great way to end the Delirium series, although I was not to keen on the way that it ended because I think that it was too abrupt. Although I did enjoy the rest of the book but I will also had to add that certain parts did upset me quite a bit. In the end I gave this book 5/5 stars.

The second book that I read and finished in the month of November was Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Initially, I was planning on reading this in October once it was released, but I just did not have enough time, so I decided to read it this month.


First of all, I have to say that this book was not as bad as I have been hearing that it is. Although it is not as good as Divergent or Insurgent, it was still a good and understandable way to end the series.
Before reading Allegiant, I was expecting a terrible book with a horrible ending that would just make me cry all throughout the book, and yes, I will admit that I cried a hell of a lot during the whole book, but I do think that no matter how sad the ending was, it made sense and after thinking about it for a while, I realised that it was a good, albeit sad, way to end the trilogy.
Apart from the ending, I found this book very disappointing in comparison to the first two and what I had expected it to be like. I kept finding myself getting a little bored throughout parts of the book, and I kind of hoped that they would have shown more of the factions and how they have broken apart. But after a considerably fast paced beginning, the rest of the book was disappointing. Whilst reading it I found it very boring, but afterwards I realised that the reason why this book was a lot less fast paced than Divergent and Insurgent, was because it was more focused on world building and how the factions came to be made, than having a more interesting plot line.
Overall, even though I did find parts of Allegiant a little boring, it was still a good enough book and I ended up giving it 4/5 stars.

The next book that I read was Romeo and Juliet, the condensed down kids version.


The reason why I decided to read this, was because we were currently studying it at school, so I thought that I might as well read it to help with my school work, and it only ended up taking me 20 minutes to read anyway, so it was definitely worth it.
It was a good adaptation of the original Romeo and Juliet, and a lot easier to read which is why I was able to speed through it so quickly.
Overall I gave this a 4/5 as it was just an easy and quick read.

The fourth book that I read is actually a bind up of three of the novellas from the Delirium series, called Delirium stories.


This book consisted of the Hana, Annabel and Raven novellas set in the Delirium world. I really enjoyed this book, and it was a nice way to add to the series, especially after I had just read the last book, Requiem. By reading these three novellas after I had already finished the whole series, it meant that I had some extra information in mind whilst reading each novella. This was a good thing for me, because it helped me to understand some extra of what was going on in the books, although knowing what happens in Requiem, it made me a lot more upset whilst reading Raven and I will not say why because I don't want to ruin it, but definitely keep a box of tissues near by, because after reading these you may need them.

The fifth and last book that I finished in November was The fault in our stars by John Green.


First of all, this book was the best book that I read this month and is also now one of my favourite books of all time! Before reading TFIOS, I did expect it to be very good, because of what I had heard from other people, but after reading it. OMG. This book is one of the most amazing and thought provoking books that I have ever read and is now definitely a permanent favourite in my eyes.
I am not going to go into much more detail, because I am planning on doing a full review on it in the next few days, so look out for that!
Overall I loved this book and gave it a very well deserved 5/5 stars.

The last book that I started reading, but only managed to finish on the 1st of December, so even though I did not technically finish it in November, I am still counting it. And that is the Great Gatsby.


This book was very good and surprisingly I did really enjoy it. I am not normally a big fan of classic books, but this was definitely an exception and is now easily my favourite classic book of all time. Although, because of the language that is used, I found some parts a little difficult to understand, but I still managed to follow the main storyline of the book and I have to say that the plot twist at the end, even though it was very sad, was very well done and I did not expect it at all.
I am now very exited to see the film, which has been pushed up to number 1 on my Christmas list!
Overall, a great book and I ended up also giving this one 5/5 stars.

Thanks for reading and I hope that you found my (albeit very short) reviews of the books that I read in November helpful or interesting, and look out for my upcoming review of TFIOS and next months wrap up and this months TBR!

No comments:

Post a Comment