Saturday 7 December 2013

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green book review

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

11870085GoodReads synopsis:

Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

I will start by saying that after reading TFIOS, I was left wanting more. But after reminding myself that this was a standalone, I instead decided that I needed to go out and buy every book that John Green has written. IT WAS THAT GOOD!

Not only did TFIOS manage to capture my attention from the very beginning and keep it until the very end, but the array of characters and different plot lines and the very big plot twist towards the end, was what made this book for me, the best contemporary that I have ever read.
I loved every character in the book, with one exception being Peter Van Houten, who in the end I decided even though he had his reasons for being a complete idiot to Hazel and Augustus, I still am not a huge fan of. But the characters that I did absolutely love were of course Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace. I loved both their witty humour and the way that they acted with and around each other, and I definitely think that that was one of the main things that made this book so enjoyable for me. But of course their star crossed love for each other was another obvious reason why I loved this book, and I think that the way that John Green portrayed their relationship with each other was very well done and completely realistic.
And of course, how could I not mention Isaac. He is yet another character that I absolutely loved in this book and the main reason for that is because of yet again, his witty humour and the fact that even though he was living with cancer, he was very brave and always making jokes about it. And whether he is a fictional character or not, I completely admire him for that.
And lastly, the ending. What can I say about the ending. Well honestly, I cried. A lot. This was one of the saddest endings to a book that I have ever read, although after thinking about it for a while, I decided that it was the right way to end the book, and no matter how sad it made me, it did make sense and I think that it made the book even stronger than it already was.
Overall, if you have not been able to tell from this review so far, I LOVED this book and honestly I cannot find any faults with it at all. It was brilliant and if you have yet to pick this up, get to it because I promise that you will not regret it!
In the end, as you can probably guess, I gave TFIOS a very well deserved 5/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment