Sunday 16 February 2014

Throne of glass review

13519397

Title: Throne of glass
Author: Sarah J Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's books
Publication date: August 7th 2012
Pages: 404
Synopsis: Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?


Characters: First of all I have to say that undoubtedly Celaena Sardothien is one of the best female protagonists that I have ever read about. I found it really refreshing to read about a female character who is completely confident and not afraid to dress up once in a while, and not only that, but she is so kick-ass! This has been my first book with a female assassin and it was so cool to see how she broke all of the typical stereotypes which females are normally given in fantasy books, such as the 'damsel in distress' that I so frequently see.
Next for the male characters. I loved both of the male characters in this book, and surprisingly I didn't think that the love triangle in this book was all that bad. Unlike other books (*cough twilight *cough) the love triangle in this made a lot of sense as both Chaol and Dorian had personalities which I thought matched Celaena's very well.
Overall I loved all of the characters and thought that their interactions and relationships with each other made a lot of sense and were very believable.

Plot: The plot of this book was initially what drew me into reading it, and I was not disappointed! I loved all of the elements of the plot and especially that it was a lot more complex than just one main storyline, as there were lots of smaller storylines which all interlinked and made the overall book so much more interesting. I have to say though, that the main storyline of the assassin who had to fight against a large group of people in order to win the grand prize (in this case to become the kings assassin), reminded me a little of the hunger games.

Rating: I gave this  well deserved 5/5 stars.



  


No comments:

Post a Comment